AVS is a national organization that offers many benefits to its members, including:
- Access to publications and technical libraries including presentations from AVS symposia as well as classic and useful reference books.
- Physics Today magazine containing topics differing with each issue, covering material of interest to the entire community and broadening members’ knowledge of diverse fields; content also includes the human, social, and political sides of science.
- Career services including an extensive list of job postings for a variety of majors, backgrounds, and skills.
- Student awards for divisions and at national level with cash prizes ranging from $300-$1000, a printed certificate, and some include plaques.
- Hotel discounts.
- Discount on AVS meetings.
- Aid for attending AVS symposia.
- Access to AVS short courses on vacuum technology, characterization techniques, and materials processing.
Being a member of the student chapter offers additional benefits such as:
- One year free membership to national AVS when register online at avs.org and say are a member of a student chapter (e.g. Dallas Metroplex in our case).
- Opportunity to network with professors including world leading authorities and form connections with industry personnel.
- Exposure to a wide variety of research fields.
- Opportunity to attend various academic and industrial seminars.
- Ability to network and socialize with undergraduate and graduate students within the scientific community.
- Opportunity to become an officer and develop leadership skills.
- Monetary aid to attend the annual AVS symposia.